The symptoms of prostate enlargement are:
- Frequent, urgent need to urinate
- Difficulty starting urination
- Slow (prolonged) urination
- Increased frequency of urination at night
- Stopping and starting again while urinating
- The feeling you can’t completely empty your bladder
- Urinary tract infections
Prostate is a gland which surrounds the outlet of the urinary bladder and Urethra. It is present only in males and contributes to the semen. With age there is enlargement of the prostate gland. This type of enlargement is noncancerous and is known as benign prostatic hyperplasia(BPH). The patient experiences symptoms if the enlarged prostate obstructs the outflow of urine. It is a very common problem in aging males. Present day advancement in medical management of prostate enlargement has been revolutionized with the introduction of latest alpha blocker medicines. Most of the patients can now be managed with medicines. Surgery for prostate is required in a subset of people who fail medical management or in certain other conditions. The Gold standard for prostate is minimally invasive Prostate surgery known as TURP. Very large prostate glands are operated with BIPOLAR TURP and LASER surgery known as HOLEP. Laser surgery can offer several advantages over other methods of treating BPH, such as transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP). The advantages can include:
- Lower risk of bleeding. Laser surgery can be a good option for men who take medication to thin their blood or who have a bleeding disorder that doesn’t allow their blood to clot normally.
- Shorter hospital stay. Laser surgery can be done on an outpatient basis or with just an overnight hospital stay.
- Quicker recovery. Recovery from laser surgery generally takes less time than recovery from TURP or open surgery.
- Less need for a catheter. Procedures to treat an enlarged prostate generally require use of a tube (catheter) to drain urine from the bladder after surgery. With laser surgery, a catheter is generally needed for less than 24 hours.
- More-immediate results. Improvements in urinary symptoms from laser surgery are noticeable right away. It can take several weeks to months to see noticeable improvement with medications.
TURP and Laser surgery might also be done to treat or prevent complications due to blocked urine flow, such as:
- Recurring urinary tract infections
- Kidney or bladder damage
- Inability to control urination or an inability to urinate at all
- Bladder stones
- Blood in your urine.
Dr Anurag Kumar is the one of the Best Urologist in Delhi and can be consulted for treatment of prostate enlargement or BPH